- Back to Stadium History & Development
Cork's Jack Lynch arrived at Croke Park just 15 minutes before the game against Cavan. All bus services to Croke Park had been delayed because of the crowds.
The GAA announce plans for a redevelopment of Croke Park to cope with increased match attendances. This redevelopment was spear headed by GAA General Secretary Padraig O’Caoimh and began with the Canal End.
In 1950 a new Canal End Terrace was opened.
In 1952 the Nally Stand was opened.
On September 5th 1954 a record attendance of 84,856 attended the All Ireland Hurling Final to see Cork defeat Wexford 1-9 to 1-6. Christy Ring, who scored five points, picked up his 8th All-Ireland Hurling medal.
On November 21st 1953 Croke Park was host to a demonstration of American Football in aid of the Red Cross.