Stadium History & Development
Today Croke Park is home to, and headquarters of, the GAA. Prior to the Association's purchase of the stadium in 1913, the grounds were in private ownership.
By a deed dated 10th December 1829 ‘an orchard, dwelling-house, yard and garden together with the fields adjoining’, amounting to a little over 12 acres was leased to a Mr. John Bradley. By another deed dated 16th April 1864 another plot of land containing over 21 acres was leased to Mr. Maurice Butterley.
The two plots of ground in these two leases were adjoining and over time came into the ownership of the GAA. In 1894, a newly formed company, the City and Suburban Racecourse and Amusements Grounds Ltd, purchased over 14 acres from Butterley. The new owners leased the grounds for a variety of sports meetings and whippet racing as well as for Gaelic games.
Croke Park Timeline
For a complete view of the timeline detailing the history of Croke Park from 1864 to the present day just click on the date ranges below.