- Back to Stadium History & Development
The GAA celebrates its Golden Jubilee with a year of celebrations around the country and in Croke Park.
On September 22nd 1935 Croke Park experiences a record attendance of 50,000 GAA fans who witness Cavan defeat Kildare 3-6 to 2-5.
On 21st August 1938 the Cusack Stand is officially opened in time for the All-Ireland semi-final between Kerry and Laois. Match commentary on the day was provided by an 18 year old Michael O’Hehir making his first appearance in Croke Park as a commentator. The two tier stand was the largest of its kind in Europe at the time.
On 23rd October 1938 during the All-Ireland Football Final replay between Galway and Kerry the referee blew the whistle for a free with a couple of minutes to go, within seconds the field was swarming with people as they thought this was the final whistle. The Kerry team were on their way to the dressing room when the announcer declared the match wasn’t finished and players had to be taken from the stand to make up the numbers. Galway won.
On 3rd September 1939 as Kilkenny defeated Cork 2-7 to 3-3 in what would become known as the Thunder and Lightning Final, World War II broke out.
On September 3rd 1944 the Cork hurling team won their 4th All-Ireland Hurling title in-a-row. This famous team featured Christy Ring and future Irish Taoiseach, Jack Lynch.