- Back to Stadium History & Development
A new stand is built along the Jones Road side of Croke Park and named in memory of Michael Hogan.
In 1924 the GAA revived the ancient Celtic Tailteann Games named after Queen Tailte, the foster mother of Ireland’s first High King, Lugh of the Long Arm. These games were supported by the new Irish Free State, staged in Croke Park and were open to all amateur athletes of Irish birth. The Games were staged again in 1928 and 1932.
Between August 18th and 24th 1924 Croke Park played host to a travelling Rodeo. The 'Dublin Rodeo' or 'Championship Exhibition of Cowboy Sports' consisted of competitions such as Steer Wrestling, Bronk Riding, Cowboy Relay Race, Cowboy's and Cowgirl's Trick and Fancy Riding Contest.
On 29th August 1926 Croke Park was home to the first live commentary of a field sport in Europe when Cork sportswriter P.D. Mehigan covered the All-Ireland Hurling semi-final between Kilkenny and Galway.
On September 30th 1928 the Sam Maguire Cup made its first appearance in Croke Park when it was presented to Kildare after defeating Cavan 2-6 to 2-5 in the All-Ireland Football Final. The new trophy was designed to look like the Ardagh Chalice and was made in Dublin by the Hopkins & Hopkins Company.
On 22nd September 1929 the first 40,000 match attendance was recorded at Croke Park when Kerry defeated Kildare 1-8 to 1-5 in the All-Ireland Football Final.
On 24th September 1933 Cavan became the first Ulster team to lift the Sam Maguire Cup when they defeated Galway 2-5 to 1-4 in front of record crowd of 45,188 in Croke Park.