- Back to Stadium History & Development
In 1918 the GAA was declared a dangerous organisation by the British Government and gaelic games were banned. However, on Sunday August 4th over 54,000 GAA members, defying the ban, played GAA games at a designated time of 3pm all over Ireland. At Croke Park players were prevented from entering the grounds so Camogie players treated police officers to the spectacle of a game of Camogie outside Croke Park on Jones’ Road. This day became known as ‘Gaelic Sunday’.
On November 21st 1920 thirteen spectators and one Tipperary footballer, Michael Hogan, died in Croke Park when British Troops entered the grounds and opened fire during a challenge match between Tipperary and Dublin. Over 10,000 people attended the match that ill-fated day which become known as ‘Bloody Sunday’.
On March 4th 1923 the Liam McCarthy Cup made its first appearance in Croke Park when it was presented to Limerick after defeating Dublin 8-05 to 3-02 in the delayed 1921 All-Ireland Hurling Final.