- Back to Stadium History & Development
On December 17th 1908 Frank Dineen, a former GAA President and General Secretary, purchased Jones’ Road Sports Ground in trust for the GAA for £3,250.
On March 16th 1909 Tom Hynes of Galway won the first marathon race to be staged in Ireland. The Irish Marathon was started by Surgeon McArdle and each lap measured under half a mile so competitors had to run 60 laps and 425 yards. Tom finished in first place to earn £30 with a winning time of 2hrs 51mins 51sec.
In 1913 the GAA were financially in a position to purchase the site of Jones’ Road from Frank Dineen using gate money from the Croke Memorial Tournament. The final of the tournament was played between Kerry and Louth and went to a replay which Kerry eventually won 2-4 to 0-5. Jones’ Road was purchased for £2,400 and was renamed Croke Memorial Park.
The first final to be played in the newly renamed Croke Memorial Park was the 1913 All-Ireland Football Final on December 14th 1913 when Kerry defeated Wexford 2-2 to 0-3.