Fun recipes to try at home!
Colcannon is a family favourite & takes about 45 minutes to cook; this recipe serves 4 generous portions. It can rescue some vegetables that may be languishing in the bottom of your fridge & past their best!
Working out at a price of €1.37 per portion, it's a wallet-friendly option you'll warm to as the winter nights close in! A Halloween tradition can also see colcannon served with a ‘prophetic’ ring (an engagement), thimble (hard times) & small coin (wealth) concealed inside the dish for fun!
What you need:
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and diced – roosters work well for this recipe!
- 250g savoy cabbage, finely sliced*
- 1 bunch of spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 75ml milk
- A generous pinch of salt & pepper
- For some extra kick: Tablespoon (or so!) of wholegrain mustard
- * If you have kale in your fridge, you can also use it instead of cabbage; remove any big stalks and slice it up finely
What to do:
- Add the peeled and diced potato to a pot of cold water, cover, place over a high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the potato is tender when pierced with a fork.
- Place the cabbage/kale into the steamer and steam cook until it is tender.
- When the potatoes are cooked, remove from the heat, drain into a colander, then add back into the pot with the butter and milk.
- Mash the potatoes until smooth and creamy. You may want to add a little more or less milk and butter, we’ll leave that up to your personal taste!
- Add in the spring onion, cabbage/kale, salt and pepper and stir through with a spoon until evenly combined. Add in you mustard now too if you’re looking for a little extra kick!
- Serve the colcannon right away!
Contact Míde for more information on sustainability here in the stadium. Ext. 2334 or [email protected]