Festival of Families - Saturday 25th August 2018
One of the most significant and beautiful events within every World Meeting of Families is the Festival of Families,
a very special concert-type event which, at its heart, celebrates families and their faith from all around the world. It will be a warm, moving, deeply engaging and unforgettable experience – a very special occasion to attend in person or watch from around the world.
On the evening of Saturday, 25th August, WMOF2018 will welcome Pope Francis and over 70,000 people to share the joy of the Festival of Families celebrations in Croke Park Stadium. This two-hour festival is choreographed as a celebration of family life and will be one of the highlights of the WMOF2018, with music, song, dance, and spoken word.
The Festival of Families also brings together an exciting line-up of creative and performance talent in a cast of thousands, featuring a host of contemporary Irish and international singers, performers, choirs, musicians, dancers, as well as hundreds of volunteers, together creating a unique experience.
The programme includes community-based artists as well as some well-known local and international artists, joined by an orchestra of over 50 musicians; over 700 Irish, sean nós and contemporary dancers, including 500 from Irish dance schools across the country; a 1,000 strong choir; 100 community groups; and 300 flag bearers. It also features Andrea Bocelli, The Riverdance Troupe, Nathan Carter, Dana Masters, Daniel O’Donnell, Celine Byrne, The Begley Family, Holy Family Deaf Choir & Deaftones, Patrick Bergin, The Priests, Paddy Moloney, Bridgie and Missy Collins, and Moya Brennan.
Tickets for the Festival of Families
This is a free ticketed event. Every person in attendance will require a ticket to access the venue. Tickets are booked out for this event.
Festival of Families Access and Safety Information
Please note: Times are subject to change. Due to increased security measures patrons are advised to be at the venue in sufficient time.
Important: No queuing allowed prior to gate opening.
Doors open: 16:00
Event starts: 18:30
Event end: 21:00
No overnight or early queuing allowed before the Festival of Families doors open.
If pilgrims do turn up they will be turned away at restricted area points around the Stadium. Queuing in streets around the Stadium will cause disruption to local residents and we appeal to patrons to heed this advice and respect the community living in the vicinity of the stadium.
For Your Safety
- Do not bring backpacks or large handbags. There will be no cloakroom or storage facilities on site. Bags must not be left at entrances or surrounding areas. Any items left will be removed and disposed of accordingly.
- This is a fully seated stadium with no roof and will take place rain or shine. Please check weather conditions and dress appropriately but remember no umbrellas.
- A ticket is required for every person attending including children and babies. Show your ticket at the ticket barrier outside the ground for inspection.
- Strict security checks will be in operation. Pilgrims are especially advised not to bring backpacks or large handbags as you may be refused entry or experience delays on entry. (Check full list of prohibited items below)
- There is no cloakroom service available.
- Glass or cans, umbrellas, alcohol, selfie sticks, flares will not be permitted. (Check full list of prohibited items below)
- No professional cameras or cameras with a detachable lens, video cameras & audio recording devices, iPads or GoPros.
- Obey the stewards and An Garda Síochána (Irish police) and instructions given over the public address for your own safety.
- Don’t rush to exits after the concerts.
- Parents are advised to bring ear protection for all children especially those under 5 years old.
- Allow additional time to get through security checks
- There are no re-admissions to the concert.
- World Meeting of Families and An Garda Síochána reserve the right to refuse admission to anyone under the influence of alcohol.
Searching is a condition of entry to protect your safety and that of others.
Due to increased security measures we strongly advise you allow sufficient time to get through security checks to gain entry to the venue in a safe and timely manner. To ensure as smooth an access as possible and to avoid any unnecessary delays we strongly suggest that you bring as little as possible with you to the event and minimize jackets and additional layers when possible. To avoid disappointment do not bring backpacks or larger hand bags, you may be refused admission to the venue.
We recommend if you are bringing personal bag, purses or clutch bag, you should only bring those of smaller sizes i.e. those measuring no greater than A5, everyone will be subject to a search. We will also conduct additional further security searches of clothing, bags and other items, as determined by us in our reasonable discretion, including on entry and exit.
If you have any general queries or accessible requests that has not been addressed in the event information provided.
If during the event you have a query or wish to provide feedback in relation to the event
Please contact a steward promptly and request directions to the nearest Customer care /ticket information point. If you are not satisfied with the assistance or response that you have been given, it is your responsibility to request to speak to a member of World Meeting of Families 2018 staff at the event. We are dedicated to delivering a high level of customer service but it is much more difficult for World Meeting of Families 2018 to resolve an issue once the event has passed.
We encourage all to walk, bike, or use public transportation to the show, but if you must drive, please carpool. Pope Francis will arrive into Dublin at 10:30 on Saturday 25th and there will be road closures in place at various times during the day. You will need to plan your journey and give yourself extra time due to diversions or road closures. Allow at least an extra 2 hours travel time to & from the venue.
As traffic and parking delays are inevitable you are strongly advised to use public transport. (Bus, dart or luas)
There are no parking facilities available locally.
Please use city centre car parks and car pool.
Plan your route in advance and check The AA Roadwatch website for reports on traffic on your route.
Coach parking for groups traveling to Croke Park Stadium is only available at Dublin Docklands. Coaches should approach by Alexandra road only, entrance to parking is on left hand side as you enter Alexandra road. Coach parking is open from 10am, passengers can get the Luas to city centre. From 2pm there will also be a free shuttle transfer to Mountjoy Square 3 minutes’ walk to the stadium. Return coach from Mountjoy square immediately after the event.
- All Under 16’s attending the concert MUST be accompanied at all times by a parent or guardian.
- Guardians must remain with under 16’s and take full responsibility for them throughout the event.
Strict age monitoring will be in place at all entrances.
World Meeting of Families 2018 reserves the right to refuse admission to anyone who fails to comply.
Festival of Families Prohibited Items:
- Air horns
- Animals (other than registered guide dogs)
- Any item which may reasonably be considered for use as a weapon
- Banners of any size
- Camping/Cooking Equipment
- Cooler Boxes or Large Containers
- Crash Helmets or Protective Headwear, or Protective Clothing
- Deckchairs, Garden Furniture, Blow Up Furniture, Folding Armchairs, Shooting Sticks Stools
- Excessive Amounts of Batteries, Wires, Cables or Electrical Components
- Fireworks and Flares
- Glass Bottles
- Illegal Substances/Illegal Merchandise of Any Description
- Large Prams
- Large umbrellas
- Large Chains, Spiked Bracelets or Wallet Chains
- Large Banners, Flags, Placards or Posters Including Sticks
- Laser/Laser Pens
- Mobility Scooters
- Selfie Sticks
- Smoke Cannisters
- Sound systems
- Spray Cans